Saturday 17 April 2004

The Truth

Okay, enough of that literaryness….
The truth is this:

Having recently extinguished my last cigarette
Nigh on 7 weeks ago – yes, yes, oh yeah!
I find myself in desperate need
Of replacement addiction;
Hence, my friend, you find me here
At the start of my venture into the wonderfully curious world of blog.

Currently absent from mundane obligations
I have spent much of this past fortnight
Doing very little, and have enjoyed it immensely!
I do feel a little guilt, but not enough to cause regret.
It would appear that my need
To achieve
Tasks of any value
Is measured in simple dimensions!

Able to feel pleasure
At such small achievements;
The first of these delights was obtained
In the breaking of most evil habit
(Perhaps as evil as that of tobacco smoking?)
The habit of exercise avoidance.
After a few sessions of yogic stretching
I feel healthier than before
Which was not at all!

The second was found
In at last changing my credit supplier
To one who charges no interest
For a whole nine glorious months – joy!
And I think, how dumb I have been,
Paying interest when there was NO Need!!

Additionally, I have not spent
Too far above my means this month
Which is a rare and beautiful situation
For one such as I to find myself in.

Less rare and more exquisite
Were the lovely hours spent
With my object of my deepest adoration;
The one who lights up my day.

One day we entertained our wanderlust
After lunching in Stockwell at homely pub,
Followed by meanderings
Round flowery Vauxhall Park
Where children played with parents in tow.

Over the river we skipped, taking
Photos of fish and candelabra;
Towards the Old Tate, where we entered
In A Gadda Da Vida and feasted our eyes
Upon chaotic paradise perfectly demonstrated
By Damien Hurst’s butterfly effects
And the fishes who came to see who was knocking
On the glass window of their world;

Sarah Lucas gave pause for thought
With cigarette crucifixion and hosiery,
And Angus Fairhurst delighted us
With his gorillas and forest ‘scapes.

We wandered around Pimlico
Searching in vain, for a red brick school
Where I once worked. Continuing
Past Victoria, reversed through Pimlico toward Chelsea Bridge
And back over the great river, where
We caught the bus home.

I love my unreal City
London – beautiful city, seen
Singularly and all at once
In kaleidoscopic technicolour
Of immense satisfaction.

Friday saw us dancing at Farringdon in Turnmills.
For the first time
In too long.
Sadly some of our group
Departed early
And the music
Was
Too
Progressive
Until we were blessed
By Sister Bliss and
Eddie Halliwell –
Almost Heaven.

No comments: